SJGA 2017 Scholarship Directions
(This is a merit, not a need based scholarship)
Scholarships will be offered to competing seniors submitting applications from all counties which are part of SJGA: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean and Salem..
Applicants must be members in good standing of their golf teams and plan to enroll as full-time undergraduate students at accredited colleges or universities within the United States.
Each year, the SJGA awards scholarships ranging from $1500 to $500 to graduating seniors. An applicant need not be a member of any country club, golf club or SJGA member club.
Only this 2017 application will be read; no previous application forms or any part thereof will be accepted under any circumstances.
The following items must be included with your application. Any application which is missing any of the requested items will be excluded:
1. A copy of your college letter of acceptance or wait-list deferral
2. A copy of your transcript (must include mid-year grades through the fall semester of senior year)
3. A copy of your first report card for the spring semester
4. A copy(s) of your SAT I and/or ACT Score Reports
5. Your completed resume, which must be specific and include years involved and, where applicable, any leadership position you have held such as editor, captain, officer, etc.. (A listing of all clubs, activities, teams, community service, summer programs, college courses, internships, jobs, etc. must be included
6. Required: A senior yearbook photograph (needed for press releases and website)
7. A typed essay (no fewer than five paragraphs) which addresses one of the listed quotations below. There is no right answer, just your personal insights. Be sure to address the various aspects of the quotation. Give reasons, examples and or details to support your main ideas. Use your personal experiences or those that you’ve read about or witnessed.
• “To find a man's true character, play golf with him.” ~ P. G. Wodehouse
• “Do your best, one shot at a time and then move on. Remember that golf is just a game.” ~ Nancy Lopez
• "Forget your opponents; always play against par.” ~ Sam Snead
• “B eing nervous is not something you should be ashamed of. Nervous means you care; you really want to do well.” ~ Paula Creamer
• “You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch on your own objective approach to life.” ~ Grantland Rice
• “Study the rules so that you won’t beat yourself by not knowing something” ~ Babe Didrikson Zaharias
• “Golf is 20 percent talent and 80 percent management.” ~ Ben Hogan
• ”Golf is the hardest game in the world. There is no way you can ever get it. Just when you think you do, the game jumps up and puts you in your place. “ ~ Ben Crenshaw
8. Provide three letters of recommendation:
(1) your golf coach
(2) guidance counselor
(3) community service mentor/leader
9. And (1) optional recommendation: from an SJGA member or another person such as a teacher, religious leader, Scout leader, club advisor, home course golf pro or another coach of another sport for which you have played.
Our criteria for selecting the winners will include Scholarship, Character,
Leadership, Commitment and Achievement .
Postmark for submitting the application is Thursday, April 13th, 2017
Please send your completed application to:
Ms. Gail Reilly, SJGA President
103 East Hollywood Ave.
Wildwood Crest, N.J. 08260
If you have further questions please call 1-732-539-3334 and leave a message with your telephone number or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants and guidance counselors will be notified by Friday, April 28th so that information regarding the winners may be included in “Senior Awards” ceremonies at their respective high schools.